There’s a radio-host that I review movies for and every week he says the same thing:
“There’s nothing but crap in the theaters right now! When is something GOOD coming out?”
I know it isn’t BLOCKBUSTER season, but there are still some great films you shouldn’t miss seeing on the big screen. I put together a list of my Top 5 Movies to See Right Now, for those of us who want to get out of the heat and into a theater (Look, it’s still in the 90’s here in Dallas so don’t tell me about that snow you’re getting in Breckenridge, OK?).
5. I know that The LEGO Ninjago Movie looks stupid and you probably don’t even know how to pronounce “Ninjago” (is it like ninja-go?), but it IS from the same people behind The LEGO Movie and LEGO Batman. It also features great voice-work from Dave Franco, Jackie Chan and especially from a completely over-the-top Justin Theroux. It’s a fun one to share with the kids and best of all, The LEGO Ninjago Movie is packed with hilarious pop-culture references that will go right over their heads. (Find tickets HERE.)
4. Why should you see Battle of the Sexes? Well, there are kind of too many reasons to count. Emma Stone plays Billie Jean King when she played the real-life Battle of the Sexes tennis match against Bobby Riggs (a fantastic Steve Carell). It’s a well-acted depiction of a publicity stunt that turned into an important moment in the Women’s Rights movement. You should also see Battle of the Sexes because it’s directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, who gave us gems like Little Miss Sunshine and Ruby Sparks. (Find tickets HERE.)
3. Patriot’s Day was released back in January and gave us a suspenseful look at the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Stronger tells that story from the point of view of one of it’s victims, Jeff Bauman, who became of symbol of hope in the aftermath. But how does one handle the mantle of HERO when they’re struggling to cope and heal? Jake Gyllenhaal gives a powerful performance in Stronger, as a man who is forced into the spotlight during the toughest fight of his life. (Find tickets HERE.)
2. The latest screen adaptation of IT broke all kinds of records when it opened on September 11th. Earning 117.2 million dollars, it became the largest ever opening for a horror movie AND the largest September opening of all time! That’s not why you should see IT, though. You should see IT because it’s just a fantastic, chills-down-your-legs-jump-out-of-your-seat-omigod-that-did-NOT-just-happen horror picture! (Find tickets HERE.)
1. Tom Cruise paired up with director Doug Liman in 2014 for Edge of Tomorrow, which surprised everyone by being an awesome movie. The two are together again for American Made and this time, they’re telling the true story of the craziest airline pilot who ever taxied a runway. Barry Seal worked for TWA, then the CIA, then Pablo Escobar and the list just gets nuttier from there. It’s Tom Cruise at his best and in a movie that ANYONE would like. Oh, except your kids. American Made is rated R and…well, we get to watch Barry Seal join the Mile-Hile-Club. (Find tickets HERE.)
Hope you get a chance to check one of these out and remember to visit the FREE MOVIE PASSES page on a regular basis. Some great stuff will be opening in October, like Blade Runner 2049, Suburbicon and (omigod!) Leatherface and I’ll do my best to get free passes to them ALL!